Thursday, March 10, 2011

Save the Manatees


I mentioned a few posts ago that I would post about the jersey that I won during the last game of last season. The last game of the season was Jimmy Buffet Tribute night. On this night, the Tampa Yankees players wear special jerseys that fans can bid on during the game. The money raised goes to a save the manatees foundation and as a Floridian, I know how important the manatees are. I just had to do my part so I went up to the bidding table and tried to pick out someone I thought was worth it. I have a thing for catchers so I was immediately drawn to Jose Gil and Mitch Abeita. In all honesty I wrote my name down really hoping that no one else would want to bid on the jersey I had bid on. I picked Mitch Abeita because his jersey was one that wouldn't be huge on me if I ever decided to wear it. I also picked his because he did not play that night and I didn't want a sweaty jersey to take home. When the bidding had officially ended I was the winner of Mitch Abeita's jersey. Which meant that at the end of the game I would go down to the field and get my jersey from him and get it signed. I was pretty excited. At the end of the game I went down to the field and got my jersey.


























That jersey now hangs on a wall in my bedroom. I hadn't really put much thought into the it until I went to my spring training game yesterday and looked in the program. The last few pages they do a season review of the Tampa Yankees and in one of the pictures is the jersey that I had won. I thought that was pretty cool. I got a picture of me with Mitch Abeita when he gave me the jersey but I dont feel like posting it here.


No comments:

Post a Comment