Saturday, March 12, 2011

Game 2 of 4 - Yankees at Nats



In November when the Yankees released their Spring Training schedule, I noticed that they were playing the Nationals on a Saturday. Because I work a Monday-Friday job I never work on weekends so I called my friend and proposed a trip over to Viera for the game. At the time of suggestion though I didn't realize just how far away it was. She was all for it so all we had to do was wait until today. For those who I haven't told. My friend is married to a minor league baseball pitcher for the Washington Nationals, he was in Class A last year. Being a lover of all things minor league, its pretty cool to get to hang out with him on occasion when he isn't away playing baseball.

A few weeks ago when he reported for Spring Training, I reminded my friend about the game, she still wanted to go because when he goes away for the first month she always drives over there to visit him for the weekend. It was then that I found out that he could get us free tickets to the game. Apparently all people who play for the team regardless of level can get tickets for their family members (if it's free, its for me!) She had told me he could get the tickets but I didn't find out until this morning that he had actually gotten them, I was blindly heading down to Viera with no tickets in my hand hoping that he would come through, thankfully he did.




So this morning I woke up really early because I was excited about the game, also because we needed to leave early to make it in time. I drove to my friends house to pick her up and we were on our way just after 10am. After a pitstop through the drive thru at Chic-fil-a and about 100 or more miles later, we had arrived at the Nationals Spring training complex around 12:30. Because her husband had gotten us the tickets and didn't know what to do with them, he left the tickets in his car so we got to go park where the players park at the training complex(I was totally excited about that) also meant we didn't have to pay for parking though we did have to walk a bit further. The tickets he got for us were awesome. My friend told me that the tickets they normally get for family members aren't the best but because her husband knows the clubhouse attendant, he was able to score us some really good seats. Our seats were a bit far out, pretty much as far out as you could go in the right field stands but we were in row one, right on the field.



The game was good, AJ Burnett pitched well which was encouraging. The wind was crazy too so I think that accounted for so many balls that were hit hard actually making it out of the park. It was a beautiful day for a baseball game and to spend the day outside. Eventually the game was over with the Nationals coming out on top. We made our way back to the training complex and met her husband who had just finished throwing live BP. It was now 4pm and I needed to hit the road so I wouldn't be stuck driving in the dark. I got home around 630 and honestly the drive both ways wasn't that bad, I didn't get stuck in traffic so that always makes a long trip just that much better.

Anyway...here's a few pictures I took at the game including a few of Bryce Harper who came out later in the game to play right field.




No comments:

Post a Comment