Sunday, March 20, 2011

Minor League Spring Training

This afternoon I trekked down to the Minor league complex on Himes ave to watch the first spring home games for the Trenton Thunder and Scranton Wilkes Barre Yankees. The way the fields are set up is like a flower with 4 petals(fields) all round a tall pavillion. Both games were on the north side of the complex with Triple A on Himes and Double A on Dale Mabry. None of this matters but I felt like sharing it anyway. In between the two fields is a wooden bleacher stand and a few picnic tables.

When I got there I was not sure which was which since there were no signs and the players were wearing numbers that they wouldn't normally be wearing. I decided to sit under the bleachers and watch what I eventually realized was the double A team( I will post a picture of all this for you when I go up again probably on Tuesday) I recognized Bradley Suttle who was playing first base, Corban Joseph who was playing 2nd and also Mitch Abeita who was catching. Honestly I could not tell you the score of the game or much of what happened because it was quite confusing without a scoreboard and once an inning was taking so long, they just decided to end it before it was over. Double A ended up winning.

Position player roster

I sat under the bleachers too because it was so hot out and even though I was wearing sunscreen I still didn't want to sit in the sun. I managed to get a picture on my phone of the roster for most of the players I was watching which was helpful. I sat between two people who both knew someone on the Pirates double A team. One was a friend and the other was the mother of a player. I enjoyed talking to them even though they were taking the game quite a bit more serious than it should have been. We talked about how you get attached to players and want them to do well and get mad when people criticize them. I shared how the the Trenton rotation was going to be amazing this year and how I was still looking forward to the Tampa rotation even though we lost a lot of good guys. The mother was really looking forward to the Altoona Curve team(pirates double A) especially after they did so well against Trenton at the end of 2010.

Eventually their relatives and friends were done for the day so they got up and left, I moved over to the Triple A side and that is when I found out that Tony Sanchez was the DH for the triple A team. I know he is supposed to be with Altoona but I guess it doesn't matter when he is the DH. I had previously bought a Tony Sanchez baseball card because I was hoping that I would be able to get him to sign it while he was down here playing minor league spring training. I love prospects so this one was a must get. I also spent 2 dollars on the card and without getting it signed, it would just sit around collecting dust. So I got confirmation that he was actually there and it was him and I took out my card and waited for him to be done for the day, luckily I didn't have to wait long and they players bus was right next to where I had parked so I followed him out and said "hey, is this you?" and showed him the card, he was like "yeah, that is me" so I handed it to him and said "can you sign it for me?" so he said, "sure I can" so he signed it, I said thanks and told him to keep out the way of balls(since he gets hit a lot). I wanted to get some Yankee autographs but they left through the front so I will have to try that another time. I'd call the day a success though. I am planning on going again on Tuesday after class and maybe again this weekend, I want to be able to see each team once(low A, high A, AA and AAA)Tony Sanchez before going out to bat(he made an out)Signed card :)


On my way home I got a call from my friend whose husband pitches for the nationals. In addition to some school related things which is why she called me, she told me her husband sent her a text saying he was on the bus going to a spring training game and was the seatmate of Bryce Harper. He told her to pass it on, I am sure that was just to make me jealous and it worked. Somehow I have got to get his autograph before the season starts.

No comments:

Post a Comment