Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Low A prospect parade

So I got out of school today with enough time to make it up to the minor league complex to see some of the Low A spring game. I got smart this time and parked next to the administration building so I wouldn't have to walk as far to get a workout groups roster and then I drove back to where I normally park. There were probably about 8 or 9 people in the stands watching the games, I would assume because it was really windy and cloudy. I bought a folding chair that I could take to the games to sit on when I wanted to watch the field behind the bleachers so I don't have to sit on the concrete. It was a lot more comfortable and for only $10 it was a great deal, ill keep it in my trunk for the future if I ever need a chair.

I got there at the bottom of the 7th inning, I can only assume it was because I saw 2 pitchers over what ended up being 3 innings(when I got there, they were in the middle of the top of the 7th)

I tried to just list the players from 1-9 but apparently my list was quite inaccurate. Here is a list of the players that I definitely saw today.

Slade Heathcott - CF
Anderson Feliz - 2B
JR Murphy -C
Gary Sanchez - DH
Tyler Austin
Cito Culver - SS
Rob Segedin
Kelvin Deleon
Tommy Kahlne(P)
Preston Claiborne(P - listed with Tampa but he was the only one between the two teams with #34 so I am assuming it was he who pitched)

I didn't really get to see much because I got there so late but I did see Slade Heathcott, Anderson Feliz and Gary Sanchez all take walks and then JR Murphy drove the first two in. When I first sat down before I knew who was all playing I saw Cito Culver catch an awkward popup toward the back of the infield. He caught it falling down so I dont know if he had it the whole time or got lucky. I also got to see him take part in a double play. He has a good smooth throwing arm. The one at-bat I saw from him, he hit a hard liner to the short stop for an out.

Cito Culver



Slade Heathcott reminds me, at least in considering body type, like Brett Gardner. He is short and small, he also has a huge tattoo on his right upper arm. He stole one base after his walk and beat the throw by quite a bit.

On the other hand, Gary Sanchez is a big boy. He was playing DH and walked and had a hit. I took video of his hit and of Heathcott's walk. When I get time I will post them to my Youtube.

Gary Sanchez


I am not going to make it back up to the complex until Saturday which is also the last day of their spring training games. It is supposed to be Tampa and Charleston again unless something comes up. The workout groups are starting to take shape and I am sure that by Saturday the workout group rosters will be pretty close to who will start where on April 7th.



No comments:

Post a Comment