Saturday, May 7, 2011

When you're in a slump, it's almost as if you look out at the field and it's one big glove.

something you only see after a win. 

The Tampa Yankees finally won a game tonight. Thank Jesus. I didn't think a win would ever come. I knew though that if anyone would be able to keep them in a game and give them a chance would be Brett Marshall. He allowed a lot of hits but only 3R/2ER in his last outing and he seems to get better each game.
He built on this past Monday's game and more.

Tonight was a 6pm game. I thought it started at 630 but I got there early so I didn't miss anything. It was Pink out night which is where the players wear  a pink jersey that is auctioned off during the game in a silent auction. The money raised goes to Moffitt Cancer Center. I went not knowing if I wanted one but then decided to put my name down on Michael Solbach's sheet and if I won then good and if not then I couldn't afford it anyway. Michael Solbach wears the number 36 and since my favorite Brad Suttle wore 36 last season(and still does for Trenton) then I would get it in honor of him. When the 6th inning was complete I went to the table to see if I had won and I did. I paid for my jersey and waited until the game was over so that I could go on the field and get it. Of course I had to watch a game before that could happen so I will recap that now and then get to the fun stuff.

Brett pitched tonight and his mom couldn't keep track of the game as she had a prior engagement. She asked me to keep her updated so I did. Brett pitched a perfect 1st inning getting a flyout and 2 groundouts. In the second inning he allowed a leadoff single which was erased on a fielder's choice. Brett walked the next batter and then got a groundball for an easy 6-4-3 double play. Brett pitched a perfect 3rd inning getting a flyout to right, left and center. In the 4th inning he got into a little trouble. He allowed a leadoff walk and after a groundout which moved the runner to 2nd, he allowed a double to center which let the run score. He got out of the inning by inducing a groundout and a flyout. Brett pitched perfect 5th and 6th innings for the last 2 innings of his night. All told he pitched 6 innings, giving up 1 run on 2 hits, 3 strikeouts and 2 walks.(88 pitches) Most definitely the best pitching I have seen in days. Brett was followed by Chase Whitley who pitched 2 innings allowing 1 hit and Preston Claiborne who pitched the 9th allowing only a single as well. The TY defense looked really good tonight. Rob Lyerly got to all the balls that came his way and he even got to a ball to start a double play in the 8th inning. Abraham Almonte made at least 2 great catches in centerfield that saved a few runs.

The offense really came out in the game from the first inning. They didnt stop hitting until the 7th inning and by then they had the game well in hand. With one out in the first Walter Ibarra singled, another out later, Jason Place(RedSox castoff) came to the plate and hit a 2 run home run over the left field fence. He gave the TY their first lead since Wednesday. The TY had 2 hits in the 2nd inning but left empty handed. In the 3rd they scored another run when Walter Ibarra singled and scored on a double by Jason Place. The TY broke the game open in the 4th when they scored 3 runs. The inning started with DeAngelo Mack who singled, he moved to 2nd on a balk. Mitch Abeita singled to move Mack to 3rd and Kevin Mahoney singled to bring home Mack to move Abeita to 3rd. Abraham Almonte reached on a fielders choice. Walter Ibarra struck out but Abe Almonte stole 2nd to move in scoring position for Rob Lyerly. He didn't disappoint and singled to right to bring home Abeita and Almonte. The TY scored their 7th and final run in the 5th when Taylor Grote singled and scored on a double to deep center by Luke Murton. The TY had a walk and hit by pitch in the 7th but was unable to take advantage.  By the end of the game the TY had more hits then they have had in their past 3 games combined with 13.

One other reason for picking Solbach's jersey is because he did not pitch in the game today. I didn't want a sweaty jersey to wear home. Last time I won a jersey I picked Mitch Abeita because he wasn't playing so I decided to do the same today. The lady sitting next to me ended up getting Mitch's jersey so we decided that we are going to wear ours on the same day to support him. Mine has #28 on the back which was his number last year and hers has #29 which is his number from this year. Kyle Higashioka is #28 this season. The funniest thing happened in the 4th inning. All game long the woman who bought Mitch's jersey was saying how he better keep it clean for her. Well when he was on 3rd and Abe Almonte stole 2nd, he started to run towards home but they were onto him and threw to 3rd, he dove back and made it in time to beat the tag. When he stood up he had a huge dirt stain all down the front of his jersey. She(who bought his jersey) yelled "Noo my shirt! what did you do to it? Its all dirty!" we were dying of laughter. It took quite a while to recover from that as it was hilarious. I made a point to show her that my jersey was still nice and clean standing in the dugout.

5'6 meet 6'3.
 Me with Michael Solbach after I got my jersey. Photo taken by Brett Marshall

When the game was over I made my way down to the field. I met Kevin's wife in the line and she had bought both Kevin and Brett's jerseys. We walked out to the field together and I went to find Solbach and she was greeted by Kevin. Brett had already changed and had to come back out to give her his jersey. After I got Solbach to sign my jersey I asked for a picture too. He reached out and grabbed someone to ask for a picture and the person he got was Brett which was ironic. I told Brett good job and he said " so you were keeping my mom up to date?" I said yep and that I was glad that he got the win and did as good as he did, he said he really needed a good outing like that. He got his ERA down to 6.75 which is great considering that 3 starts ago he had an ERA around 11.

I really like the pink jersey better than the hawaiian one I got last year but I like the player who wore the hawaiian one a bit more. I also realized that both numbers I have are divisible by 4(28 and 36)

The front of the jersey. The patch on the sleeve is the logo for Moffit Cancer Center.

The back of the Jersey. Not sure why the color is so faded, I blame the flash on my phone camera.

Hopefully tonight's game was a step in the right direction for the TYanks. They had a ton of hits and were able to hit them in places they haven't in the past games they have played. The TY is off tomorrow for Mother's Day but are back at it for the rest of their 6 game homestand on Monday. Lord willing I will be able to make it to the game in time on Monday and will finally be able to play baseball bingo.

Here is the picture of me and Mitch at the end of last season when I won his jersey on Jimmy Buffet night:

No comments:

Post a Comment