Monday, May 2, 2011

Tampa Yankees at Clearwater Threshers

Much against my mother's wishes, I went to tonight's game in Clearwater. She says that since I am sick I should be resting. I told her that a baseball game is resting since I will just be sitting there watching and not doing anything. I went hoping for a win and unfortunately didn't come home with one. The Tampa Yankees lost 3-0 and have now lost 5 in row. Their last win coming last Wednesday in Daytona.

Brett Marshall was on the mound for Tampa and through the first 5 innings he was not perfect but he was perfect at limiting the damage he put on himself. The first inning he faced the minimum. After 2 outs( a strikeout and comebacker) he allowed a single that was erased 2 strikes in on the 4th batter when Mitch Abeita threw the runner out trying to steal 2nd. In the second inning, with one out, Rob Lyerly bobbled a ball and was unable to make the throw to 1st base. 2 batters and 2 singles later, the runner scored. An unearned run but a run nonetheless. In the 3rd inning after a hit and an errant pickoff throw, Brett was able to escape the inning with a strikeout, groundout and flyout. His 4th inning was nearly perfect except for a 2 out walk sandwiched between 2 strikeouts. Brett nearly blew the game in the 5th inning when he had the bases loaded after giving up 2 singles and a walk with just one out. He managed to get back to back strikeouts to end the inning leaving 3 men on base. Brett started the 6th inning extremely close to his pitch count and a double and another run scoring double later he was lifted for Ronny Marte with a runner on. Marte allowed a single and Brett's final runner scored on a groundout. Marte got the second out on a caught stealing(Mitch Abeita may not have the status that Kyle Higashioka has but he is a darn good catcher) Ronny then allowed a walk-single-walk and the bases were loaded. Luckily he got the clean-up hitter for the Threshers to fly out to left.(the same guy who hit a grand slam in the first game of last Tuesdays doubleheader) All in all Brett pitched 5 innings, giving up 8 hits, 3 runs/2 earned. Brett walked 2 while striking out 9. That's a lot of strikeouts in just 5 innings.
Ryan Flannery pitched the final 2 innings and did wonderful. He allowed only 1 hit which actually was on a ball the deflected off his foot in the 8th. The pitching in tonights game was actually really good. They allowed a lot of hit but were able to limit the damage and keep the TY in the game the whole night.

The TY offense was totally anemic again. The first baserunner came when Zoilo Almonte walked in the 2nd inning with 1 out, he stole 2nd but was unable to score as Jason Place(the new guy) struckout and Taylor Grote grounded out. The TY didn't get their first hit until the 4th when Rob Lyerly singled. It was all for not though as he was followed by a strikeout and a groundout. Things looked promising in the 5th  when Mitch Abeita walked and Kevin Mahoney singled with 2 outs. Abe Almonte came up to the plate and flew out to right for the final out unfortunately. Things again were looking up in the 7th when Jason Place doubled and both Mitch and Kevin walked. Abe Almonte again came up to the plate, this time with the bases loaded and really unluckily popped out to the catcher. The last threats of the game came in harmless singles in both the 8th and 9th.

I got to the game right as the National Anthem began, I missed the turn into the stadium but was able to find parking in the overflow parking lot. I really do not understand why they charge for parking but my ticket was free so I guess I cant complain. When I first got inside I sat in the section where they gave me a ticket for. About an inning into the game I spotted Kevin Mahoney's wife so between innings I walked over and sat with her. She was keeping track of Brett's pitch count and what he was throwing and relaying them to Brett's brother. She seems/is pretty nice so I enjoyed talking to her throughout the game. We had quite the scare in one of the later innings. She was 3 seats in on the row un front of me and I was sitting one row behind her in the first seat. She was turned talking to me about insurance(the Yankees have excellent insurance for their minor league players) when a foul ball flew off the bat of one of the Threshers and was smoked between us. Had I been a seat to the right and she a seat to the left then one of us would have been making an emergency trip to the ER. I didn't even have time to say watch out, I just leaned to the left and hoped for the best. She was saying how she couldn't believe that Kevin didn't yell to duck because he knew where she was sitting. In the last 2 innings, this guy sat down in front of us and he turned out to be Ryan Flannery's dad. He is down here visiting for a few days. Luckily Ryan did a good job. His dad said that every time his son pitches he gets really nervous. I would too.

Well the TY weren't able to take any games from Clearwater and they are now home for the next three games to play the Daytona Cubs. I will probably go tomorrow night and maybe Wednesday depending on if I go to work. Thursday is an 11am game and since I have to work I will miss it.
Ill most likely post the scorecards tomorrow after I check them for accuracy, I really think I am getting better at it.

No comments:

Post a Comment