Monday, January 10, 2011

I want to rush for 1,000 or 1,500 yards, whichever comes first.

I get baseball. I have been a baseball fan since before I can even remember. I know the basics like 3 strikes and you're out. 4 ball and you can walk. 9 innings, 9 players. 7th inning stretch, I get it all. I also know what ERA is and Batting Average. I know that an OBP of .300 is not too spiffy. I can tell you that the Yankees had an awful time with BaBIP in the ALCS and the Rangers did not. I have no clue what WAR is or FiP and I know that UZR is overrated. I get it all. I can tell you all about how the Yankees rallied to beat the Dodgers this past season and the guy on first threw to the catcher after stepping on the bag which only took a second because he was trying to go for the double play but he didnt think about Grandersons speed so the ball didnt get to the plate in time which set the Yankees to come all the way back and for Robinson Cano to hit a two run home run which won the game... phew. I can talk about baseball for hours...and I do...which annoys everyone around me but I dont care because I'm talking about my favorite thing.

What I don't get is football. I know that a touchdown is worth 6 points and then you go for the field goal which gives you 1 point. Or you can try for the two point conversion. There is the field goal which is worth 2 or 3 points...not so sure, and my absolute favorite; the touchback or safety which is when the quarterback gets taken down in the endzone worth 2 points. But besides that, I am absolutely clueless.

So why am I telling you this?

Well as I said, If you're around me at any time you will inevitably learn or be told something baseball related. Whether its a little trivia or interesting story I came across such as this: The Rays were no hit twice in 2010. Once a perfect game and once a not so perfect no-hitter from Edwin Jackson. They also had their own no-hitter throw by Matt Garza(who didn't beat the Yankees at all in 2010) Why I bring all this us is because last year when the Yankees sent Ian Kennedy to Arizona and got Granderson from the Tigers, Detroit sent Edwin Jackson to Arizona and got Max Scherzer who started the game as the opposing pitcher when Garza threw the no hitter. Now I know this doesn't affect how Garza performed that night but had that trade not gone down, Edwin Jackson would not have been able to throw a no hitter against the Rays and Scherzer would not have lost a game where he only allowed two hits(one of which a grand slam)

That is just an example of something I might inform you of if we were to say, meet in a long line or work together. It sounds pretty convincing though like I researched everything and made all these connections which I did and its only because I find every aspect of the game and coincidence to be interesting.

Football on the other hand? The other day I was talking with a coworker about broken bones. How I get disgusted by them and probably wouldnt handle seeing one in person. I decided to attempt to explain The Blindside to her, if you haven't seen it you should because its good. Anyway, in the beginning of the movie they explain the reason for the position that watches the quarterbacks blindside(I dont know what its called, I told you I dont know football) in it, they show video of the quarterback Joe Theismann getting tackled from behind and the bottom of his foot is where his shin is supposed to be and his shin is up by his knee. Gross. As I am explaining this to my coworker she starts laughing. I was like, this is serious the guy broke his leg and thats why they created the blindside(thats what they say in the movie okay?) She explains to me that she wasnt laughing at the story but the way I was telling it, because I absolutely know nothing about football, not even enough to pretend I know what Im talking about and she thought it was funny that I can talk baseball for hours but cannot retell a simple story involving football.

And you know what?

I am perfectly fine with that :)

3 comments:

  1. Blindside. That WAS a pretty good movie! Yep, I remember the part where there is the flashback clip showing LT and Theisman. You see, I saw that happen in real-time, on network TV. During the movie, knowing what was about to happen, I closed my eyes. True story!
    Best always, Chuck58

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chuck

    Thank you for commenting on my blog post. I did not know what was going to happen in the flashback clip so I unfortunately did not close my eyes or look away.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's a tough moment....
    now that you know, you can turn away next time :-)

    ReplyDelete