Sunday, January 16, 2011

By the Numbers


I attended 22 Tampa Yankee games in the 2010 season between June 5 and September 13. I got a late jump on the season and I am sad to admit it was just because I wasn't really aware how cheap the tickets were and the fact that I didn't know I didn't care if I went to the game alone. So I decided to make a post of the numbers relating to my season. How many wins and losses I saw, who I saw pitch etc. It took a bit of exhausting research partly because I went to some double headers, some games I got into free because I went too late to buy a ticket and some tickets I exchanged because the game I had originally gone to got rained out. Hopefully I got it all in here.

Wins - 12
Losses - 10

Teams I saw and how many times I saw them.

Fort Myers Miracle(Twins) - 0
Palm Beach Cardinals(Cardinals) - 0
Jupiter Hammerheads(Marlins) - 1
Bradenton Marauders(Pirates) - 1
Lakeland Flying Tigers(Detroit) - 1
Brevard County Manatees(Brewers) - 2
St. Lucie Mets(Mets) - 2
Daytona Cubs(Chicago Cubs) - 3
Charlotte Stonecrabs(Rays) - 3
Dunedin Blue Jays(Blue Jays) - 4
Clearwater Threshers(Phillies) - 5

This includes Two away games where I went to Dunedin and Clearwater. Both were losses.

I went to 20 games where the starting pitcher was actually in the starting rotation.

Starter - games started - decisions - outcome

Shaeffer Hall - 6 games - 4 decisions - 2 wins and 2 losses
Dellin Betances - 3 games - 3 decisions - 3 wins
Manuel Banuelos - 3 games - 1 decision - 1 loss
Graham Stoneburner - 2 games - 1 decision - 1 win
Craig Heyer - 2 games - 2 decisions - 2 wins (this includes the clinching championships game)
Josh Romanski - 2 games - 1 decision - 1 loss
Brett Marshall - 1 game - no decision (Preston Claiborne took the loss in relief)
Adam Warren - 1 game - no decision (Noel Castillo took the loss in relief)
Adam Olbrychowski and John Van Benschoten were the other two starters - neither got a decision.

The relief pitcher took the win or loss in 10 games I attended. This is probably because the starting pitcher only goes about 5 innings or so each game.

2 games stick out for me in how tough they were to sit through.

On July 2nd I went to a double header against the Daytona Cubs. This game had previously been started by Manny Banuelos but got rained out in an early inning. Double headers in the minor leagues are 7 innings. This game was to be completed at 9 innings and the game following was to go 7. This game though went 14 innings. It featured a hitless inning thrown by Sergio Mitre who was doing his rehab with Tampa and a blown save by Jonathan Ortiz. I distinctly remember the fans in front of me after he blew the save reminding the guys on the field that they had to play another game when this one ended. We eventually won the game on a walk off home run by Bradley Suttle. We also won the second game pitched by Dellin Betances. Interesting note: Mitch Abeita caught all 19 innings that day.

On August 20, the day that Manny Banuelos was in the stands charting the game.(the day I got his autograph) we lost...6-18... This game was started by Shaeffer Hall who took the loss. Anyone remember the game against the Blue Jays where the Yankees won and Brett Gardner hit the grand slam? When we scored 11 runs in one innings? You remember how great it felt when that inning went on for 30 minutes and you were hoping it wouldn't end? Yeah well this was the opposite. It featured a 9 run 7th inning that took two pitchers to finally end. I switched seats thinking maybe if I move then they will get an out. It didn't work so I and a few other people moved seats and it was finally over. I stayed for that whole game surprisingly.

Well that is a recap of all the Tampa Yankee games I went to in the 2010 season. I am buying season tickets for 2011 so I will be able to go to a lot more. I also plan on going to more away games to fields I didn't visit in 2010. I will be posting hopefully a lot of information from some of the games I go to in 2011 so check back frequently come April. And as always, comment here letting me know what you think. I like feedback.

2 comments:

  1. Just getting out and seeing the prospects is awesome, TY. I like to go out to Harbor Park and watch the Tides [especially when SWB comes to town!]. Sadly, on the road last year and missed most of the season, but this year is gonna be great! :-) Tickets are none too pricey, and I like to sit behind home plate, just behind the side to side aisle. You can check out the pitches pretty well, and if ya pay attention, many times scouts with RADAR guns sit directly in front - good to see a more accurate speed indicator, as the scoreboard is off by several mph. Good stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I love it. I joined the Tampa Yankees Booster club for 2011. The ticket prices are so good for us its almost a ripoff. I sometimes sit behind the guys with the radar guns but I normally sit by the Yankees on deck circle because its a good place to see all the action. The scoreboard at Steinbrenner field doesnt tell speed of pitches which is a bummer. I am jealous, I wish I could see the SWB Yankees.I like my Tampa Yankees but they are so far from the Major Leagues. I enjoyed seeing two of the B's hopefully they stay in the organization.

    ReplyDelete