Saturday, February 5, 2011

Autographs

Tampa Yankee games are really good for getting player autographs. The players stretch on the right field grass and sometimes when they're done they will come to the fence and give autographs. On Saturday games they have player autographs on the concourse where at least one player sits at the table an hour before the game and does autographs. The pitchers also chart the games behind home plate and if you recognize one of them and have something with you then you can go between innings and get an autograph. They are always willing to sign anything as long as they aren't in the middle of charting pitches at the time. So I have decided to show off the autographs I got last season.

Note: Click the pictures to enlarge.





I went to the game on July 3rd with my dad hoping to see a good game and fireworks celebrating the 4th afterward. Instead we got to the field and it was drenched. The infield was soaked and there was too much water in the outfield, they deemed it unsafe for play. Because so many people had come to the game they didn't want to just tell everyone to go home so they told us over the loudspeaker that they were going to do whole team autographs on the field. They had all the players stand in the home and away dugouts with sharpies and you could go down to the field and get in line to have them all sign something. I didn't bring anything so I borrowed a dollar from my dad and and bought a lineup card and got in line. It was about an hour process because there were two lines for each dugout but I got a lot of good autographs. Hopefully I am lucky enough to go to another game in 2011 where they do this.



Pitchers sit behind home plate and chart pitches for games. Sometimes they chart pitches thrown by the opposing team and sometimes they chart pitches for their team and I have also seem them chart a whole game. Point is, the pitchers sit behind home plate and are totally accessible to fans that recognize them. Dellin Betances and Manny Banuelos definitely stand out in a crowd and are quite recognizable when charting pitches which is how I got their autographs. I was thinking what I could get them to sign because I didnt have either of their cards nor a ball, I figured I would just have them sign the ticket from the game they started. I got Betances autograph first, I actually waited til the end of the game for his and almost missed him but I chased him down and he signed the ticket for me. Unfortunately the pen wasn't fresh so the autograph is not perfect. I learned my lesson a few days later when I saw Banuelos charting pitches. I just came into the stadium because I had come late and it was a wet day. When I saw him I ran out to my car and grabbed the ticket from the game he had pitched a week earlier and a sharpie and asked him to sign it between innings. He kindly obliged and now I have autographs of two of the top 10 prospects in the Yankees organization. (Betances also signed the lineup card above)


So now that I have a handful of autographs I realized how many more autographs I could have if I had cards or had thought to get them throughout the season. I don't plan on ever selling these or giving them away. I am a pack rat so they'll most likely stay in my possession for a long time. I also have trouble sharing. I decided to invest in a few cards of some of the players I think will potentially pitch in Tampa in 2011 so if I see them I can get their autograph to add to my collection.

Last but not least....



The most awesome autograph I acquired in 2010 was my Buster Posey baseball. The only real Major Leaguer who has signed anything for me. I know he isn't a Yankee but he was the NL Rookie of the Year and when you get the opportunity to get his autograph it would almost be stupid to pass it up. One of the moms of the kids where I work grew up in the same town as Buster and her brother goes hunting with him, she was nice enough to take a ball up to Georgia with her over Thanksgiving and she brought my ball up with her, not but a few weeks later she was back with ball in tow. It is definitely a very prized possession now.

I got a Tampa Yankee Hawaiian style jersey on the last day of the season. Ill feature it another time, no sense in giving it all up in one post. If you ever want something signed by a Tampa Yankee member playing in 2011 just let me know and I'll see what I can do.

No comments:

Post a Comment